Casting Magic

Casting Magic

This page will outline the basic guidelines for casting magic, the modifiers for it, and theme of it. There are several different ways to cast magic.

  • Ritual Magic
  • Spontaneous Magic
  • Extended Magic
  • Accidental Magic

Ritual Magic

Ritual magic is the act of using props, invocation, runes, or otherwise ritually preparing oneself and one's magic before asking it. Ritual magic gives a base of +20 to ones magic roll. This bonus can be increased or decreased depending on the way the magic is prepared. Quickly drawing a circle around yourself would grant a +5, opposed to the +20 you would get for drawining a perfect circle, putting in the correct runes, and then lighting candles. Ritual magic is also exceedingly less draining on a magic user. When ritual magic is cast you only take drain if you fail, and then you take the percentage of failure divided by 10 (to a mininum of 1) in drain.

Spontaneous Magic

Spontaneous is much like psychic phenomenon, it is magic that is not prepared and is done at will. There are no bonuses to Spontaneous Magic, and generally no negatives either. This is done at the spurr of the moment and usually costs the magic drain. Spontaneous magic is very draining on a magic user. When the Spontaneous Magic fails the magic user takes the percentage of failure divided by 5 in drain. When the Spontaneous Magic succeeds the magic user takes the percentage of success minus willpower+magic divided by 2 in drain.

Extended Magic

Extended casting is rarely done when not in junction to ritual magic as it can be particularly draining on the magic user. Extended casting is when someone has to do something that is particularly difficult or particularly time consuming. Each +roll/per adds or subtracts to the total. This means if you get 15% success on your first roll and then 5% success on your second you have a total of 20% success, if then on your third roll you get a 15% failure you are dropped down to 5% success total. Your spell succeeds if you accumulate enough of a success percentage that it hits the target number you were going for. This number is highly dependant on the situation and how hard what you are doing is.

If your total drops to zero or below at any time the spell will fail, and you cannot attempt it again until the drain you took while casting is healed. This means if you took 20 points in drain while attempting to cast a difficult or time consuming spell and ended up failing the spell, you would have to wait until those 20 points of drain are gone before you can attempt again. Extended casting follows the drain rules of either Spontaneous Magic or Ritual Magic, depending on whether or not the magic user is casting a ritualistic extended spell or attempting to spontaneous cast an extended spell.

Accidental Magic

Accidental magic is what happens when one's magical abilities surpass their willpower. If your power is higher than your willpower or you are in certain stressful situations (life or death situations, or situations that are above your willpower-range: e.g. being tortured when you have a willpower of 25.) you should +roll/per willpower + magic school, a success signifies that you managed to keep control of your powers. A failure means that your powers start to work in ways you didn't want or didn't intend. For example: A life mage accidentally hurting the person they were trying to heal. Or healing the person they were fighting against. Or worse their magic being turned against themselves. With accidental magic you only take drain if you fail. At which point you take the percentage of the failure divided by 5 in drain.

abilities-sorcerers

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License